My husband and I bought an older house shortly after we were married. We intended to fix it up. But it was a bigger project than we envisioned.
With so many needed repairs, we somehow forgot about installing a good carbon monoxide detector. This could have been a deadly mistake.
One night, just weeks after bringing our second baby home from the hospital, my husband noticed the gas boiler was acting up. He thought it was smoking.
We rushed the children out of the house and called the fire department. Something was definitely wrong with the boiler. Our basement also contained an unhealthy amount of carbon monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide Danger Levels
Each year, more than 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States alone, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Also, another 21,000 visit emergency rooms for symptoms related to exposure to this odorless and colorless gas.
Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuel, from furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves and other devices. Because we often don’t know when we are being poisoned, as the symptoms are vague and may resemble the flu, we may not realize when a dangerous level of this gas is present in our homes.
The CDC recommends that everyone have a battery-operated or battery backup carbon monoxide detector in their home. Batteries should be changed periodically. One easy way to remember is to change them when clocks are set forward and backward.
Plug Carbon Monoxide Detector Battery Backup
The First Alert CO615 Dual Power Carbon Monoxide Plug-In Alarm with Battery Backup is designed to detect potentially dangerous levels of this toxic gas.
- Is easy to install. It can be plugged into any standard electrical outlet.
- It has battery backup in case of an electrical outage. So it’s designed to work even if your electricity is out.
- Digital display allows you to see the indoor carbon monoxide level.
- It also displays the battery level and has an audible warning when battery power is low.
- This device has a loud 85-decibel alarm.
- It’s a simple-to-use device designed for living and sleeping areas, so you can have peace of mind.